Skip to main content

Voices of Reason!

 |  Ady Cole-Ewen  | 
My sincere thanks to Flemming Rasmussen for expressing, with such clarity and depth of knowledge and understanding, the concerns we have with our council.

Money does not grow on trees and Social Services definitely need to be left where they belong – in Wellington; along with all the other initiatives the Mayor and his councillors have come up with that do not relate to basic infrastructure.

Major issues affecting the Simpsons Beach (Wharekaho) community remain unresolved.

No water, no sewage, and no safe footpath along SH25, and no replacement system for the disconnected tsunami sirens.

35 years ago, the first request was made for a safe footpath along this stretch of SH25. The community has grown dramatically since then, as has the number of vehicles on the highway. Flooding at the Tohetea Stream bridge is now a regular occurrence, cutting the community off from Whitianga, but the evidence provided relating this back to the new subdivision and the badly over-estimated amount of storm water the stream could handle, is consistently ignored. Let me refer back to Flemming’s conclusion:

“Common sense should prevail. This is what we pay our rates for. TCDC should focus and get back to basics. It should stick to its knitting and deliver essential core services only. Nothing more, nothing less.”

Please Note – You now have the opportunity to stand up and have your say by making your submission to TCDC on their Long-Term Plan. Submissions opened Friday 8th March and if you are not sure how to make a submission, please go to the TCDC office in Monk Street and ask for assistance. I hope to have more information on this next week.

My second ‘Voice of Reason’ accolade goes to Trevor Ammundsen.

Trevor was 100% correct in his article on EVs. Their day is most certainly over with all major car companies pulling back. This information is readily available – just check out the Toyota production line for next year. Paul Sommerville, needs to check his facts before he slates someone as astute as Trevor Ammundsen. He needs to dig a little deeper and make sure he has his facts right.

A big thank-you to Rob Barnes who added so factually to the “Truth” about the future of electric cars.

Recent Letters to the Editor

Letters to the editor

Alice Thru The Looking Glass?

Inside out, upside down, and basically incomprehensible; comparable perhaps to going down the rabbit hole with Alice…………. A fair description of TCDC’s proposed Esplanade Project? Absolutely fascinating how 12million+ of our hard-earned ratepayer dollars has been  applied to a project that was a…
Letters to the editor

CAUSTIC OUTBURST

While on occasion offering sensible commentary on local governance issues, Dal Minogue thoroughly embarrassed himself (and The Informer) with his vicious remarks personally attacking long-time local environmental advocate John Veysey (The Informer April 9). Minogue’s nasty, juvenile, and defamat…
Letters to the editor

OBJECTING RE LOCATION OF BOATING CLUB

There’s got to be a way to effectively object to the consent request by DOC in last weeks issue on page 31. I feel like getting together an Objector’s Petition. This is about the relocation of the Mercury Bay Boating Clubhouse from its current site to being adjacent to the Dundas Street Boat Ram…
Letters to the editor

Roadworks

Just a few days ago, I received a notice informing me that the next day the council in its wisdom has decided to chip seal our road. For a council that cries poor in the justification for substantial rate rises, it seems to be a complete and utter waste of money. Our particular road is a cul de …
Letters to the editor

DUNDUS STREET BOAT RAMP

To all users of the Dundas Street boat ramp, remember that when the Marina was built, it was required to build a boat ramp and parking for the community free of any charge to use. When it is busy, there is no room to park all the vehicles and trailers on the existing site and you have been using…
Letters to the editor

Esplanade not our pet project or brainchild.

We are writing in response to Ady Cole-Ewen’s article, Esplanade – Tsunami Sirens, published 9 April 2024. The author writes “It is reported that the Esplanade’s “nice-to-have” upgrade is the brainchild and pet project of Councillors, Deli Connell and Rekha Giri Percival…” For the record this pr…
Letters to the editor

MORE POETRY FROM JOHN (received before dal minogue’s sent in his poetic response)

Who’s crying? Who’s given up on the fray and who’s been brought down and who’s making nonsense of the world today? Lies been raining down upon us. Life’s value has took a dive. But for those of you who see a dismal future, just remember you’re still alive. You’re still alive, you’re still al…
Letters to the editor

More disinformation

The guest editorial (Through the Portal) on EVs by Trevor Ammundsen is full of misinformation. EVs in New Zealand are not fossil fuel-powered. About 85% of our electricity is generated without any use of fossil fuels, and with several significant solar farms and further wind farms coming online,…
Letters to the editor

Kubota Fishing Competition

Well I hope now all of you who supported the MBGFC Kubota fishing competition are revelling in the millions of dollars, it supposedly brought to our once ‘sleepy little east coast fishing village’. We are now known on the world stage as the largest wild animal competition hunting field on the pla…
Letters to the editor

NEWSROOM TCDC DEBT FIGURES WRONG

A letter to the editor in The Informer Issue 19 March, cited some information in a Newsroom article that was wrong, and which Newsroom has since corrected. The Informer letter to the editor was written by Meg Beston (Not TCDC’s Fault, 19 March issue) and cited Council debt figures published in a…