Skip to main content

The meeting – a positive step

 |  Catherine Delahunty     | 
It is generally thought to be a good idea to attend a public event if you want to describe what it was like. The Trevor Ammundsen description of the Māori Wards vote at the TCDC meeting was so different from being there. The meeting was an experience of collaboration and respect between the Council and the tangata whenua and followed the legal rules regarding the establishment of Māori wards for Māori roll voters.

There is no requirement under current law for a referendum of the general population represented by general wards to vote on Māori wards. At the moment, it’s a Councillor vote and logically our Council had approached hapū and iwi for their views.  There were a lot of people at the meeting including Pākehā from a range of community groups. The atmosphere was one of respect and warmth and the Mayor made space for all who wished to speak to the proposal. The courtesy and positivity of tangata whenua speakers was inspiring. All Councillors chose to speak and they all spoke with clarity that this was an opportunity they wished Council to take.

In my speech I pointed out that without Māori wards and with a number of Maōri candidates over many years, only one who identified themselves strongly with their hapū and iwi had ever been elected in the entire history of the TCDC. Hence the need for a Māori ward opportunity.

The new Government may drag the law back to undermining Māori decision making but I will never forget the positive step that our Council was willing to take.

Recent Letters to the Editor

Letters to the editor

Bad decisions re our banks

We elect MPs to represent us in parliament where they make decisions on our behalf. So, what caused them to sell the majority of our banks to Australian interests? What a mistake! Now profit is the driving force in bank services, not customer well-being. Three bank actions confirm my low opinion…
Local Events

OB LOSSES IN REGION

I have just been told that my family member is losing his job at the Kopu Recycling mrf. There are about a dozen jobs to go. Workers do not know why. It seems the recycling is now going out of district or being dumped. Surely, when the new contractor won the business, they committed to local p…
Letters to the editor

What happened to the championing of localism?

Remember when Prime Minister Luxon and the National Party championed localism, advocating for local control over central government decisions? He pledged to halt this trend. Instead, we have seen far more centralisation than we ever had under Labour, as the coalition government overrides local c…
Letters to the editor

Lost Spring – is it like Hanmer Springs?

Whilst a discussion about how to market our lovely town and the Coromandel is welcome, I think the ‘sign’ that appeared on your front page would be grossly misleading. Visitors would picture steam erupting from the ground everywhere like in Rotorua, or a hot water beach to dig wallowing holes on….
Letters to the editor

Greeting  Matariki with my sculpture

This year we Kiwi celebrate the new Matariki Holiday on Friday, 28 June. The Matariki Star Cluster, also called Pleiades, is now visible in the sky. It is a symbol of Maori navigation and culture and the beginning of New Year. Therefore, I am pleased to greet you with my MATARIKI Sky Sculpture …
Letters to the editor

Alan Hopping’s response to LETTER TO EDITOR

I had a great response to Thermal Ocean Village this last week. There was one negative from one member the Mercury Bay Business Association committee and there was one in the Letters to the Editor passed on to me to respond which I am doing. With due respect to Rose Barrett’s letter and in respo…
Letters to the editor

Democracy is key

In this wonderful land we are free to take our part in a democracy where the representatives of everyone make the rules to live by. The authority we give them is part of our freedom. For freedom does not mean ‘no rules’  but a shared responsibility for citizenship and mutual support. Freedom als…
Letters to the editor

Mindless pursuit of a failed ideology

Six elements of the new government’s policy agenda with its obsessive focus on “economic growth” expose a callous indifference to more deaths and much worse health outcomes that will inevitably result. Repealing smoke-free laws that would have prevented youth smoking is outrageous.  Now, more yo…
Letters to the editor

Ref: “Question whether the Earth has moved”, 11 June 2024

The Informer published an article about the formation of an “Alliance” (21 May), a potential opportunity for co-operation of Residents and Ratepayers Associations across the Peninsula. The article reflected the information made available to The Informer at the time and it was clear to the reader …
Letters to the editor

Voices of Gallipoli – Mark Wright masterful

If you missed the well attended event “Voices from Gallipoli” at the Monkey House Theatre last Friday then it was your great misfortune. On a rather wet night Mark Wright, who wrote and performed his own play, gave the audience a compelling insight into the Gallipoli campaign fought in 1915/16. …