Skip to main content

Some of the great points Denis Tegg made about EV’s

 |  Clancy Nixon  | 
“How much time will I waste filling up at petrol stations?” Less than five minutes a week if you do a big mileage. Think what you can do with that time!

(EV’s Unleashed Guest Editorial P.25 Issue 30 Jan)

“The ICE car I test drove lagged between pressing the gas and gaining speed. It felt like something was broken”.

Not an absolutely immediate response from an ICE car but more than quick enough for any road in NZ. Ever heard that speed kills Denis? That immediate gain in speed shortens reaction time and is just plain dangerous.

“An EV already has price parity with the equivalent ICE when total cost of ownership over 5 years is calculated.” How about the upfront cost, more expensive at purchase and not generally purchased by the “average” person who buys a second-hand car, not by choice but because he/she can’t afford a new one.

Many wealthy people just got a “free kick” from the Labour Government while tradies were expected to pay a bit more on their work utes. Seems fair? What about the no Road Tax to date?

“ICE car’s future value will be a concern, as EVs will soon be cheaper than ICE and the market for ICE will nosedive”.

Denis, have you noticed how much TESLAR prices have dropped lately? What happens when those paddocks of unsold EVs around the world have to find a home? Maybe those pictures of hundreds of unsold cars are just media AI…… Not many people ever made a dollar selling their used car so is selling a second-hand EV going to be any better?

“My EV has 20 moving parts and only tyres and windscreen washer fluid have required replacement”. Your much praised acceleration and speed sheds tyres at twice the rate of an ICE car with huge tyre pollution.

“Can I accelerate and brake with just one pedal”. Great point Denis. EV’s are going to be a big hit with one-legged drivers.

“ICE cars have at least 20 times the fire risk of an EV”. If correct, just as well they are easy to put out.

“My EV receives regular major software upgrades by Wi-Fi at home, like my smartphone”.

Denis, my ICE car does not need software updates.

Great article to read and as you can see it ticked my fancy. EVs might well be the future but I will sit on the fence for now and see how batteries and alternative power sources develop over the next couple of years,

Good on you Denis. Lab rats will always be necessary, work out the wrinkles for the rest of us.

Recent Letters to the Editor

Letters to the editor

New Zealand political system

It was with dismay that I read Trevor Ammundsen’s muddled hypothesis about why one does not have to be Māori to stand in a Māori Ward (May 21). Trevor mightn’t have enough familiarity with New Zealand history to realise that this rule has always been standard. Even at a national level, one does n…
Letters to the editor

Where are the Short-Term Plans?

Never mind the “Long Term Plan”,  what’s the short term plan for fixing the broken public toilets at Cooks Beach which have been out of action for months?
Letters to the editor

Not a Melting Pot

I believe the author of the article, issue 1106, 21 May, is deliberately or insensitive to the fact that he is actually stirring the pot of interracial and cultural understanding. This is benefitting his own agenda of suppressing Māori people and their human rights.
Letters to the editor

QUESTION WHETHER THE EARTH HAS MOVED

Some ink has been spread across the written page since the correspondence between us and I had imagined, I would have an answer to my second question in the Letters to the Ed pages in the last two Informer issues  …but no. Considering the earth has moved concerning the article (front page The In…
Letters to the editor

Survey reveals concern over Fast-track Approvals Bill

A new Horizon Research survey (1000 respondents, margin of error +- 3%) has revealed serious concerns among National Party voters about the proposed Fast-Track Approvals Bill and its potential to undermine democracy and enable corruption. The poll shows that 76% of National voters are worried th…
Letters to the editor

Accent the positives – negate the negative

I believe that as a country we must, as New Zealand citizens, work with the positives but first the negatives need to be called out for what they are. The negatives persist throughout the media at present. I have listed some negative issues that are currently circulating throughout the media chan…
Letters to the editor

No to integration or blending

Kia ora. I sincerely hope that Trevor Ammundsen’s views, What we need is a great big melting pot, 21 May, does not reflect the views of our wider community. His suggestion that we need to do away with barriers of geography, ethnicity and class that prevent peaceful co-existence. He calls this pro…
Letters to the editor

Corruption with Fast Track Bill

I see Trevor Ammundsen did not take up the offer to expose potential corruption arising from the Coalition government’s Fast-Track law. Never mind, Trevor has a fresh Fast Track corruption scandal to take up in his column. This latest one involves a NZ First donor submitting amendments to directl…
Letters to the editor

The Values Debate

In a Letter to the Editor (“Incorrect Re our Residents and Ratepayers”, 28 May), the writers state that they are distressed and disturbed to have been (in their view) wrongly associated (Editorial, The Informer, 21 May) with key goals as expressed by the ‘Alliance’ because these do not align with…
Letters to the editor

About rover’s letter

I was lucky to have my letter in The Informer in October last year. It was not only words, but also a photo of me, so everyone recognised me when out walking. Rover – so many people and dogs are wondering who you are. Please try to get a photo in the great Informer – especially for me to be info…