Skip to main content

Money does not grow on trees – revisited.

 |  Elisabeth Resl  | 
TCDC’s response to a recent, very insightful article on the Council’s Long-Term Plan (LTP)process is living proof of the key points Mr. Rasmussen made.

Locked in their ivory tower mentality, the Council immediately jumps into defensive mode to, yet again, point out perceived ‘inaccuracies’ in this article by merely repeating what their ‘duties’ are under the Local Government Act 2002 (LGA). Nobody, including Mr Rasmussen, suggests that the Council would risk legal challenge by not adhering to their statutory duties. This is not the point.

A truly open-minded and transparent Council would have looked at the many substantial and constructive points that are discussed in this article.

1. Yes, the LTP’s ‘key priorities’ are vague and lofty and will serve as a meaningless (yet very flexible from the Council’s point of view) elastic band to underpin what should be hard financial decisions.

2. Contrary to TCDC’s Corporate Services and Finance Group Manager’s statement that, “we don’t see any other reasonable option but to increase rates and fees if we are to maintain our current services” rates do not necessarily have to increase. According to TCDC, “so much of what we do now is required by law, there is little scope for major reductions in our current services”.

A constructive way of conducting a consultation would be to list all anticipated Council services and their costs that fall under ‘statutory requirement’. Those services would be priority one. Core services (water/wastewater/roads/rubbish) are priority two; with, however, a very broad scope of actual ‘level of service’ that is offered for each category.

On the other hand, some staff and activity costs for ‘economic development’ and ‘communication’ could be cut back to focus expenses on core Council business.

3. Mr Rasmussen provides a very useful list of example questions that link services to corresponding costs. After all we are talking about ratepayers’ money, so it’s pointless to ask the community, “which services they think we could stop or reduce” when the ratepayers are left in the dark about how much money they would be saving.

Answers to similar fuzzy questions will give the Council diverse responses (according to ratepayers’ individual interests) so that they can pick and choose which of those best fit their policy intentions. All this would be well within the legal ambit of the LGA, but answers would not have been based on hard and available financial information.

Setting the right priorities (except priority one items) must be based on an informed decision made by those people who pay for these services and not by aspirational Council officers and elected members.

Real change could only happen if Council was prepared to genuinely listen to the people who pay their salaries and bills instead of hiding behind hollow lists of LGA prescribed ‘processes’.

The Mayor’s and Councillor’s’ recent unanimous disrespect for basic democratic principles when voting on the establishment of Māori wards does not bode well for the upcoming LTP process.

Recent Letters to the Editor

Letters to the editor

MORE POETRY FROM JOHN (received before dal minogue’s sent in his poetic response)

Who’s crying? Who’s given up on the fray and who’s been brought down and who’s making nonsense of the world today? Lies been raining down upon us. Life’s value has took a dive. But for those of you who see a dismal future, just remember you’re still alive. You’re still alive, you’re still al…
Letters to the editor

More disinformation

The guest editorial (Through the Portal) on EVs by Trevor Ammundsen is full of misinformation. EVs in New Zealand are not fossil fuel-powered. About 85% of our electricity is generated without any use of fossil fuels, and with several significant solar farms and further wind farms coming online,…
Letters to the editor

Kubota Fishing Competition

Well I hope now all of you who supported the MBGFC Kubota fishing competition are revelling in the millions of dollars, it supposedly brought to our once ‘sleepy little east coast fishing village’. We are now known on the world stage as the largest wild animal competition hunting field on the pla…
Letters to the editor

NEWSROOM TCDC DEBT FIGURES WRONG

A letter to the editor in The Informer Issue 19 March, cited some information in a Newsroom article that was wrong, and which Newsroom has since corrected. The Informer letter to the editor was written by Meg Beston (Not TCDC’s Fault, 19 March issue) and cited Council debt figures published in a…
Letters to the editor

Environment issues matter

The Staff of the newspaper are to be congratulated for having the courage to print an article bringing into question some aspects of the much-vaunted Kubota billfishing contest. Although the contest brings much money into parts of the community’s welcoming coffers, the reason it uses (pardon the …
Letters to the editor

Town Museum

I have been visiting Whitianga over the summer months for twenty years. Over that time, I have noticed the way the Council and others have worked hard to transform what was once a sleepy village into a small attractive town. But I am left wondering about the Museum. Although it is in a prime pos…
Letters to the editor

FREE PRESS – FREE SPEECH

Todd Stephenson pointed out on Stuff recently that when the left activists cancelled the likes of Posie Parker it would only be a matter of time before bigger, nastier bullies cancelled events they opposed (or cancelled out all opposition to those they favoured). That is why true liberals suppor…
Letters to the editor

It’s a newspaper

A newspaper such as The Informer has to rely on advertisers for income to survive. This puts the paper’s owners in a difficult situation if those advertisers wish to influence the editorial content of the paper. The cancellation of the planned second part of the article written by Shaun Lee (Unt…
Letters to the editor

Contradicting Shaun Lee’s Billfish Assertions

While we are aware that you have withdrawn the opinion piece from Shaun Lee, which expressed his concern about “a dramatic reduction in commercial swordfish landings during the last ten years,” I set out some facts which contradict his assertions. Shaun suggested that the reduction in landings w…
Letters to the editor

Editor Please Explain

Regarding the “Apology from Editor” I have just read in the 26 March 2024 edition of the Informer: I had to read the article twice because I was certain I must have misunderstood.