Skip to main content

Doc’s positive achievements!

 |  Helen Vivian  | 
In the article in a recent Informer (Issue 1084) entitled “DOC defends the status of Cathedral Cove”, written by the Department of Conservation’s Regional Director, Tinaka Mearns, the local community is implored to “focus on the positive achievements (by DOC) and what is possible for the future”. 

Could the local DOC office please inform us exactly what these “positive achievements” are so the public can “celebrate what has been achieved” in our area.

Also, please tell us what DOC sees as being “possible for the future” and, given oft-quoted budget constraints, what their priorities are in their remit as the Department of Conservation.

To put this in perspective, it would also be of interest to know how many staff are employed by DOC in the Mercury Bay area and what their annual operating budget is. 

Recent Letters to the Editor

Letters to the editor

FOSSIL-FUELS ABOUND

Watching the continual parade of fossil-fuelled cars along Buffalo Beach Rd., I’ve realised that this is mirrored by small communities NZ-wide. With the Aid of the big business transport industry we are blithely ignoring that 2023 has been the hottest year since we have kept records. Our Leaders…
Letters to the editor

MP’s from the Right beyond ‘rude’

I write in response to Trevor Ammundsen’s contribution to ‘Through the Portal’ about ‘rude’ MPs from the Left. Ironically, he made me laugh on a very dreary and wet Wednesday morning. It was not the theme that had me amused but the out-moded and seriously backward-looking tropes that belong, tha…
Letters to the editor

Lovers Rock letter

The Informer had time to send Mike Rutherford’s letter to the communications team at TCDC and here is their response. The coastal reserve containing Lovers’ Rock has had ongoing work to repair damage from cyclones Hale and Gabrielle in early 2023. Many large trees toppled over and were leaning …
Letters to the editor

LOVERS ROCK – WHAT IS GOING ON?

I regularly walk around the inner harbour and Lovers’ Rock. It was always a pleasure to see families enjoying a picnic at the tables in the park areas around the rock. But one day, the Council (at great expense) ripped out the tables, and I no longer enjoy seeing families having a fun picnic. N…
Letters to the editor

Rasmussen’s logic questionable

Some random dude named Flemming Rasmussen pens a long-winded diatribe accusing our local district councillors of incompetence over a 12% rate increase. I counter with a concise 250-word letter, highlighting that a 12% hike is below the national average, implying that by Rasmussen’s logic, nearly…
Letters to the editor

THANK YOU FLEMMING RASMUSSEN………

for taking the time to spell out the “small print” that is so often missed by those responding emotionally to a subject they have not sufficiently researched or understood. (Perhaps the heading, “A Fish Rots from the Head Down” was a little strong for some). However, your presentation on exactly…
Letters to the editor

CLARIFICATION OF ‘MAUTOHE’ ADDED TO CATHEDRAL COVE

In your 30 April edition, Ian Collinson queried the use of Mautohe in recent communication on Cathedral Cove. Subsequent to Mr Collinson’s original letter we submit this. The governance group for the project to reinstate walking access to Cathedral Cove includes staff from DOC and a representati…
Letters to the editor

Wargames and unjust media coverage

Well it’s interesting to see that press releases just get printed word for word from the Defence Force but the release from local people doesn’t get a mention. What a pity mainstream media stick to the mainstream. Here was an opportunity for mainstream media to publish the voice of the people. …
Letters to the editor

“SEX AND THE DECLINING BIRTH RATE”

As an avid reader of Stan’s stuff, it was with surprise that I found in his strong stuff about sex that he had overlooked the ability of humans to have pills and sex together. It must have been with relief that mothers with large families were able to get doctors to prescribe a series of pills ea…
Letters to the editor

From Rovers viewpoint

My name is Rover and I live with my human in paradise. That is, Mercury Bay, with many friends. Instead of having to hunt for food, my human provides me with delicious meat and vegetables from a building that has a constant flow of the human sub-species. She seems to be disconcerted by the effor…