Skip to main content

How I see Cathedral Cove

 |  The Informer  | 
I have been following your coverage and recently watched your sit-down interview with the Minister of tourism, Matt Doocey – a great opportunity for our community and you to be able to speak directly with the minister.

I have been following your coverage and recently watched your sit-down interview with the Minister of tourism, Matt Doocey – a great opportunity for our community and you to be able to speak directly with the minister.

I have to say, I am surprised to hear both the Minister of Tourism and the Coromandel MP, Scott Simpson’s ‘s urgency to open the walking track. Both have not spoken about the benefit to the local economy, having to access Cathedral Cove via tourism businesses. Indeed, if the track is reopened, more visitors will be able to access Cathedral Cove, but they will not need to pay for this. Instead, they will do what they have done in the past, which is bypass Hahei village by parking at the carpark at the entrance to Hahei and shuttling to the start of the walking track, and then spending hours down at the remote beach. All the while, they are not spending a dime in the local area.

Sure, they might have a snack or need some sunscreen, but that’s all. It isn’t hard to search google Cathedral Cove overcrowded’ to find some of the problems experienced in the past with the beach being simply overrun. I also remember the track and cove being closed due to rocks falling a few years ago.

The way I see it, albeit it frustrating to the average local, is that in the current situation, visitors need to base themselves in Hahei or wider Mercury Bay – spending money on accommodation and services – and then pay money to either kayak or boat to Cathedral Cove. Most, if not all, of the boats I have seen leaving from Whitianga wharf are full. When they return, their passengers are no doubt hungry, parched, spend more money at our fine local establishments and then return to their paid accommodation. This money is employing our good people and offers a unique experience for the visitor. The only piece of media I have seen touch on this was a video filmed by One News.  Cathedral Cove closure gives boost to Coromandel water tour operators | 1News – YouTube.

Good to have the air time with the Minister but I believe he needs to step up to the plate – whether that be economic monitoring to see the current impacts on our community, especially in the marine businesses, or innovative tourism development. Let’s face it, there has been severe underinvestment on the Coromandel Peninsula and in Cathedral Cove for decades. It’s time to look carefully at what else Tourism New Zealand can promote in their budget to even out the load of travellers and lift up our other destinations. Reopening a state-owned free walkway is not the answer for our local economy and could have an unintended negative impact on our local businesses.

Of course, my letter is from my perspective- not backed by hard data which I think needs to be collected by someone, whether that’s TCDC, MBIE or the relevant business associations.

We need tourists that want to spend money and we need to create environments where it is expected to part with it. Also, it is very common across the world to pay to enter walks and state reserves – and this must go back to the community for upkeep of these assets.

We need our MP, Minister, business associations to dig their toes in for the long haul. I fear everyone is too short-sighted and distracted by one walking track.

How can we improve the marine experiences from Hahei (most are based in Whitianga).  How can we diversify? For example, if there was a cycle trail in Hahei, that might bring a whole new group of domestic and international tourists and encourage people to stay an extra night so they can do the trail AND see Cathedral Cove. At the moment, it’s a one trick pony.

Thank you,

Cassandra Holloway

Whitianga

Recent Letters to the Editor

Letters to the editor

New Zealand political system

It was with dismay that I read Trevor Ammundsen’s muddled hypothesis about why one does not have to be Māori to stand in a Māori Ward (May 21). Trevor mightn’t have enough familiarity with New Zealand history to realise that this rule has always been standard. Even at a national level, one does n…
Letters to the editor

Where are the Short-Term Plans?

Never mind the “Long Term Plan”,  what’s the short term plan for fixing the broken public toilets at Cooks Beach which have been out of action for months?
Letters to the editor

Not a Melting Pot

I believe the author of the article, issue 1106, 21 May, is deliberately or insensitive to the fact that he is actually stirring the pot of interracial and cultural understanding. This is benefitting his own agenda of suppressing Māori people and their human rights.
Letters to the editor

QUESTION WHETHER THE EARTH HAS MOVED

Some ink has been spread across the written page since the correspondence between us and I had imagined, I would have an answer to my second question in the Letters to the Ed pages in the last two Informer issues  …but no. Considering the earth has moved concerning the article (front page The In…
Letters to the editor

Survey reveals concern over Fast-track Approvals Bill

A new Horizon Research survey (1000 respondents, margin of error +- 3%) has revealed serious concerns among National Party voters about the proposed Fast-Track Approvals Bill and its potential to undermine democracy and enable corruption. The poll shows that 76% of National voters are worried th…
Letters to the editor

Accent the positives – negate the negative

I believe that as a country we must, as New Zealand citizens, work with the positives but first the negatives need to be called out for what they are. The negatives persist throughout the media at present. I have listed some negative issues that are currently circulating throughout the media chan…
Letters to the editor

No to integration or blending

Kia ora. I sincerely hope that Trevor Ammundsen’s views, What we need is a great big melting pot, 21 May, does not reflect the views of our wider community. His suggestion that we need to do away with barriers of geography, ethnicity and class that prevent peaceful co-existence. He calls this pro…
Letters to the editor

Corruption with Fast Track Bill

I see Trevor Ammundsen did not take up the offer to expose potential corruption arising from the Coalition government’s Fast-Track law. Never mind, Trevor has a fresh Fast Track corruption scandal to take up in his column. This latest one involves a NZ First donor submitting amendments to directl…
Letters to the editor

The Values Debate

In a Letter to the Editor (“Incorrect Re our Residents and Ratepayers”, 28 May), the writers state that they are distressed and disturbed to have been (in their view) wrongly associated (Editorial, The Informer, 21 May) with key goals as expressed by the ‘Alliance’ because these do not align with…
Letters to the editor

About rover’s letter

I was lucky to have my letter in The Informer in October last year. It was not only words, but also a photo of me, so everyone recognised me when out walking. Rover – so many people and dogs are wondering who you are. Please try to get a photo in the great Informer – especially for me to be info…