Skip to main content

Give the gulf a chance!

 |  Dirk Sieling  | 
I refer to the article supplied by Doug Saunders-Loder, president of the NZ Federation of Commercial Fishermen (Edition …)  His letter cannot go unchallenged. He accuses the recreational fishers of wanting to push commercial fishers right out of the Park. And please let’s not forget that the Hauraki Gulf is a legally gazetted Marine Park. Wilfully destroying the bottom flora and fauna should not be allowed in any sort of park.
To be clear, Legasea is not opposed to commercial fishing as claimed by Doug. What Legasea opposes are fishing methods that are both indiscriminate and destructive, especially when they bring a lower return. Legasea supports more artisanal methods such as long lining and potting that bring a much higher return per kg of fish. Such methods are ideally suited to a marine park having less impact and being more selective. Commercial fishers, by being hand in glove with MPI, already enjoy considerable advantages over recreational fishers, such as the right to start taking scallops 1 month before recreational fishers. Through overfishing the scallop beds are now wiped out to the point that fishery had to be closed altogether. Another example are snapper size limits, which are 30 cm for recreational, yet only 25 cm for commercial clearly giving them a big head start at taking a large chunk of snapper stock that recreational anglers must return to the sea. And yes Doug makes the point about other stressors which are a legitimate concern, but the commercial sector continues to exaggerate their effects as being by far the biggest contributor to declining fish stocks. Witness however the inner Hauraki Gulf, which has the vast bulk of land based stressors such as sedimentation and pollutants, yet snapper stocks have increased considerably since bottom trawling was banned there, clearly showing which stressor had the most impact on fish stocks. Commercial long line fishing in the inner gulf has improved as a result. The reality is that the commercial sector needs to adapt to the times and move on from getting the most fish by the cheapest possible method regardless of environmental impact or value of the catch. Improvements on land in terms of biodiversity and run-off have not yet been matched by improvements in the marine environment, which up until recently has by and large been ignored. Large areas of the Park have had the bottom destroyed and sediments resuspended with these fishing methods and to claim that these areas won’t recover is disingenuous. We know that recovery takes a very long time and won’t happen in one generation, but that’s not a reason to not give it a chance.

Recent Letters to the Editor

Letters to the editor

New Zealand political system

It was with dismay that I read Trevor Ammundsen’s muddled hypothesis about why one does not have to be Māori to stand in a Māori Ward (May 21). Trevor mightn’t have enough familiarity with New Zealand history to realise that this rule has always been standard. Even at a national level, one does n…
Letters to the editor

Where are the Short-Term Plans?

Never mind the “Long Term Plan”,  what’s the short term plan for fixing the broken public toilets at Cooks Beach which have been out of action for months?
Letters to the editor

Not a Melting Pot

I believe the author of the article, issue 1106, 21 May, is deliberately or insensitive to the fact that he is actually stirring the pot of interracial and cultural understanding. This is benefitting his own agenda of suppressing Māori people and their human rights.
Letters to the editor

QUESTION WHETHER THE EARTH HAS MOVED

Some ink has been spread across the written page since the correspondence between us and I had imagined, I would have an answer to my second question in the Letters to the Ed pages in the last two Informer issues  …but no. Considering the earth has moved concerning the article (front page The In…
Letters to the editor

Survey reveals concern over Fast-track Approvals Bill

A new Horizon Research survey (1000 respondents, margin of error +- 3%) has revealed serious concerns among National Party voters about the proposed Fast-Track Approvals Bill and its potential to undermine democracy and enable corruption. The poll shows that 76% of National voters are worried th…
Letters to the editor

Accent the positives – negate the negative

I believe that as a country we must, as New Zealand citizens, work with the positives but first the negatives need to be called out for what they are. The negatives persist throughout the media at present. I have listed some negative issues that are currently circulating throughout the media chan…
Letters to the editor

No to integration or blending

Kia ora. I sincerely hope that Trevor Ammundsen’s views, What we need is a great big melting pot, 21 May, does not reflect the views of our wider community. His suggestion that we need to do away with barriers of geography, ethnicity and class that prevent peaceful co-existence. He calls this pro…
Letters to the editor

Corruption with Fast Track Bill

I see Trevor Ammundsen did not take up the offer to expose potential corruption arising from the Coalition government’s Fast-Track law. Never mind, Trevor has a fresh Fast Track corruption scandal to take up in his column. This latest one involves a NZ First donor submitting amendments to directl…
Letters to the editor

The Values Debate

In a Letter to the Editor (“Incorrect Re our Residents and Ratepayers”, 28 May), the writers state that they are distressed and disturbed to have been (in their view) wrongly associated (Editorial, The Informer, 21 May) with key goals as expressed by the ‘Alliance’ because these do not align with…
Letters to the editor

About rover’s letter

I was lucky to have my letter in The Informer in October last year. It was not only words, but also a photo of me, so everyone recognised me when out walking. Rover – so many people and dogs are wondering who you are. Please try to get a photo in the great Informer – especially for me to be info…