Skip to main content

College estuary swim – a great race

 |  Peter H. Wood  | 
I had heard that the MBASC (largest in NZ) was having their cross-estuary swim from Ferry Landing to the town wharf. So I went along to be among the observers.

What a surprise – ferry-load after ferry-load of well-behaved children in togs transported across the estuary and walked down to the opposite beach.

At midday the first lot started and many heads dotted the exiting tide. The logistics of this exercise filled me with admiration.

Kayaks, harbour master and assorted craft kept an eye on the swimmers, who kept coming in waves.

Floatation aids were in evidence and if I had even had the courage to do this swim I would have needed my water wings.

What an adventurous way to start the school year and congratulations to all the children who made it across.

Did we end with the same number who started? Thank you to the teachers and planners for demonstrating the spirit of modern children/youth.

Recent Letters to the Editor

Letters to the editor

An opportunity too good to miss

Recent articles and letters about the Lost Spring and an entrance sign to Whitianga bring up interesting ideas.  One of the things that make NZ unique on an international scene is its geological youth and consequent volcanic and geothermal activity.  Auckland sits on an active volcanic field with…
Letters to the editor

Pigs and poison

Kuaotunu resident, Tim, wants some pigs taken away. Pigs have been here since before the European settlers arrived and for centuries have provided a much-needed source of food. Demand was always bigger than the supply and pig numbers never got out of hand. This was before DoC arrived and began …
Letters to the editor

World Heritage Status for Mercury Bay. Public meeting date set

Thank you to all who contacted me so positively over my World Heritage Site  article in last week’s (9 July) The Informer. An incredible and very rewarding response. Including those who live outside of our area very much in support of extending the proposed boundaries. I can now confirm that we…
Letters to the editor

Re Welcome Signage to Mercury Bay

I so believe and endorse efforts to set up a more welcoming sign/s for folk coming to Mercury Bay and the Coromandel Peninsula. Many towns both within New Zealand and internationally have such signs with an icon which portrays the uniqueness of the area. Mercury Bay has ,I believe a plethora of …
Letters to the editor

Last week’s cartoon

Interesting cartoon in last week’s issue of the Huntly Power Station. It seems somewhat puzzling to this ancient relic when we have a perpetual source of power on the Power Stations doorstep in the Waikato River with today’s technology it is not put to good use. It is bewildering that unlike othe…
Letters to the editor

Integrity of Council

(Ref: Council disregards advice from Ombudsman – The Coromandel Informer, Issue 1113, 9 July,2024). Good on Cr Morrissey for standing up for the integrity of Council process against the performative nonsense of American refugees and pompous Mahakirau and Moehau poets.
Letters to the editor

Response from Council re segment of shoreline on Buffalo Beach

Regarding Oscar Hill’s letter to the editor in the 9 July issue of The Informer, about ongoing work on an eroded section of Buffalo Beach shoreline: Firstly, our Council would like to make it clear that reinstating a section of the shoreline following erosion last year is something our wider orga…
Letters to the editor

have you FORGOTTEN JAMIE?

Well, Jamie Boyle, Coastal Scientist, we are now into our eighteenth month since Cyclone Gabrielle took a bite out of our waterfront. Ten months after that event, you stated that you were still preparing the paperwork for resource consent to start the repairs. I concede it is a complicated proces…
Letters to the editor

Herald writer has wise message

I was impressed by Bruce Coterill’s article in the Business Section of the New Zealand Herald on Saturday, 22 June in which he detailed some of the negative reports coming out of the media. These include: • The stats are giving us bad news on a weekly basis • Protest rallies are regularly held …
Letters to the editor

I hit a pig!

I was returning from Whitianga at about 8.30am. I came around a corner, saw a glimpse of something big and black out of the corner of my eye and then, BANG! It was a large wild pig and it put my vehicle, which was not speeding, on two wheels and required a good deal of steering action. I was fo…