Skip to main content

Anything happening – Mercury  Bay Update?

 |  Douglas Anderson  | 
It is with much excitement I read in the latest Informer, page 27, MBCB – “Update” that the footpath cyclone damage, Buffalo Beach, may, or may not, be started in a few months subject to a “resource consent”.

I walk past this spot and read the council notice “What’s Happening”. My observation is “nothing.” Visitors must look at this fenced off area and wonder why, well over a year after the great cyclone, why this simple repair has not been completed.

Resource Consent for what? The footpath is an existing structure nothing new, nothing more. There is an existing rock breakwater, just needs extending, backfill, and footpath rebuilt.

Having worked in the marine industry for many years this is a very, very simple repair. I suspect there is a real anti to rock retaining walls on the coastal waterfront? Why? There are no Turtles coming ashore at night laying eggs in the dunes.

You will note that a section of the Buffalo Beach waterfront is already rock wall for protection. Works incredibly well. The existing road would have been destroyed if not for this rock wall.

So, somewhere, a resource consent document sits on somebody’s desk, waiting, waiting, waiting, for the day they turn up for work, in a good mood, and put a rubber stamp on it, Yahoo.

With councils from one end of New Zealand, cash strapped, looking at rate increases of 10, 15, 20% or more my question is how much has been spent on this simple job so far for no result.

With engineers’ plans, resource application, and numerous visits by men in white coats, I would expect tens of thousands have already been spent on red tape nonsense.

This is why it costs so much to get anything done in New Zealand. The more money burnt on PC nonsense; the less money available to actually get things done. Cost plus. Our rates will continue to increase 10% plus, year on year.

I hope I live long enough to see the footpath back in action.

Recent Letters to the Editor

Letters to the editor

Alice Thru The Looking Glass?

Inside out, upside down, and basically incomprehensible; comparable perhaps to going down the rabbit hole with Alice…………. A fair description of TCDC’s proposed Esplanade Project? Absolutely fascinating how 12million+ of our hard-earned ratepayer dollars has been  applied to a project that was a…
Letters to the editor

CAUSTIC OUTBURST

While on occasion offering sensible commentary on local governance issues, Dal Minogue thoroughly embarrassed himself (and The Informer) with his vicious remarks personally attacking long-time local environmental advocate John Veysey (The Informer April 9). Minogue’s nasty, juvenile, and defamat…
Letters to the editor

OBJECTING RE LOCATION OF BOATING CLUB

There’s got to be a way to effectively object to the consent request by DOC in last weeks issue on page 31. I feel like getting together an Objector’s Petition. This is about the relocation of the Mercury Bay Boating Clubhouse from its current site to being adjacent to the Dundas Street Boat Ram…
Letters to the editor

Roadworks

Just a few days ago, I received a notice informing me that the next day the council in its wisdom has decided to chip seal our road. For a council that cries poor in the justification for substantial rate rises, it seems to be a complete and utter waste of money. Our particular road is a cul de …
Letters to the editor

DUNDUS STREET BOAT RAMP

To all users of the Dundas Street boat ramp, remember that when the Marina was built, it was required to build a boat ramp and parking for the community free of any charge to use. When it is busy, there is no room to park all the vehicles and trailers on the existing site and you have been using…
Letters to the editor

Esplanade not our pet project or brainchild.

We are writing in response to Ady Cole-Ewen’s article, Esplanade – Tsunami Sirens, published 9 April 2024. The author writes “It is reported that the Esplanade’s “nice-to-have” upgrade is the brainchild and pet project of Councillors, Deli Connell and Rekha Giri Percival…” For the record this pr…
Letters to the editor

MORE POETRY FROM JOHN (received before dal minogue’s sent in his poetic response)

Who’s crying? Who’s given up on the fray and who’s been brought down and who’s making nonsense of the world today? Lies been raining down upon us. Life’s value has took a dive. But for those of you who see a dismal future, just remember you’re still alive. You’re still alive, you’re still al…
Letters to the editor

More disinformation

The guest editorial (Through the Portal) on EVs by Trevor Ammundsen is full of misinformation. EVs in New Zealand are not fossil fuel-powered. About 85% of our electricity is generated without any use of fossil fuels, and with several significant solar farms and further wind farms coming online,…
Letters to the editor

Kubota Fishing Competition

Well I hope now all of you who supported the MBGFC Kubota fishing competition are revelling in the millions of dollars, it supposedly brought to our once ‘sleepy little east coast fishing village’. We are now known on the world stage as the largest wild animal competition hunting field on the pla…
Letters to the editor

NEWSROOM TCDC DEBT FIGURES WRONG

A letter to the editor in The Informer Issue 19 March, cited some information in a Newsroom article that was wrong, and which Newsroom has since corrected. The Informer letter to the editor was written by Meg Beston (Not TCDC’s Fault, 19 March issue) and cited Council debt figures published in a…