Skip to main content

A cacophony of seagullims

 |  Peter H. Wood  | 
It is fairly clear that Buffalo Beach is the habitat of a seagull sub species – Seagullims Bludgerous. Rather than scavenging along the high tide line this group have learnt to interact with the dominant species and can be separated by their specific behaviours such as: They perch on high points along the beach front so that single bird plunge-downs alert a large group to take advantage of available food supplies. The spreading of a fish and chip packages on a picnic table becomes a signal so that up to two dozen argumentative and mingling birds are quickly on the scene.

Moral: don’t leave your dinner alone.

Humans think that while they are enjoying the sea view certain Seagullims Bludgerous have adopted them and approached near as tame animals. No way, they have learnt that looking endearingly up close is a sure way to get a chip or piece of sandwich.

Another sign of Seagullims Bludgerous is their ability to avoid the fight or flight pattern when close to folk and vehicles. Their carefulness in avoiding powered vehicles is shown by the lack of road-kill along Buffalo Beach and how they can fossick on the road or footpath and scuttle out of the vehicles way at the last moment. Indeed, some eye humans up, within a metre.

There is, of course, a down side to this behaviour. Parked vehicles can display a white spot infection. This is corrosive matter and needs to be washed off as soon as possible before drying. Do not turn on windscreen wipers.

The high-pitched screech emitted by Seagullims Bludgerous on landing is used to clear a space and scare off early-comers. This can be seen easily by throwing out slices of burnt toast. Amusing to watch as dominating Seagullims Bludgerous’ will chase away competing attendees by running head down very quickly after them.

Certain Seagullims Bludgerous’ have learnt to batten on certain female house-owners by pretending to be pets. Such as tapping at a window or roosting near a house entrance until the gullible owner feeds them on a regular basis.

This sub-species has found a sensible way to survive the winter-lean months. Keep an eye out for this new phenomenon.

Recent Letters to the Editor

Letters to the editor

MORE POETRY FROM JOHN (received before dal minogue’s sent in his poetic response)

Who’s crying? Who’s given up on the fray and who’s been brought down and who’s making nonsense of the world today? Lies been raining down upon us. Life’s value has took a dive. But for those of you who see a dismal future, just remember you’re still alive. You’re still alive, you’re still al…
Letters to the editor

More disinformation

The guest editorial (Through the Portal) on EVs by Trevor Ammundsen is full of misinformation. EVs in New Zealand are not fossil fuel-powered. About 85% of our electricity is generated without any use of fossil fuels, and with several significant solar farms and further wind farms coming online,…
Letters to the editor

Kubota Fishing Competition

Well I hope now all of you who supported the MBGFC Kubota fishing competition are revelling in the millions of dollars, it supposedly brought to our once ‘sleepy little east coast fishing village’. We are now known on the world stage as the largest wild animal competition hunting field on the pla…
Letters to the editor

NEWSROOM TCDC DEBT FIGURES WRONG

A letter to the editor in The Informer Issue 19 March, cited some information in a Newsroom article that was wrong, and which Newsroom has since corrected. The Informer letter to the editor was written by Meg Beston (Not TCDC’s Fault, 19 March issue) and cited Council debt figures published in a…
Letters to the editor

Environment issues matter

The Staff of the newspaper are to be congratulated for having the courage to print an article bringing into question some aspects of the much-vaunted Kubota billfishing contest. Although the contest brings much money into parts of the community’s welcoming coffers, the reason it uses (pardon the …
Letters to the editor

Town Museum

I have been visiting Whitianga over the summer months for twenty years. Over that time, I have noticed the way the Council and others have worked hard to transform what was once a sleepy village into a small attractive town. But I am left wondering about the Museum. Although it is in a prime pos…
Letters to the editor

FREE PRESS – FREE SPEECH

Todd Stephenson pointed out on Stuff recently that when the left activists cancelled the likes of Posie Parker it would only be a matter of time before bigger, nastier bullies cancelled events they opposed (or cancelled out all opposition to those they favoured). That is why true liberals suppor…
Letters to the editor

It’s a newspaper

A newspaper such as The Informer has to rely on advertisers for income to survive. This puts the paper’s owners in a difficult situation if those advertisers wish to influence the editorial content of the paper. The cancellation of the planned second part of the article written by Shaun Lee (Unt…
Letters to the editor

Contradicting Shaun Lee’s Billfish Assertions

While we are aware that you have withdrawn the opinion piece from Shaun Lee, which expressed his concern about “a dramatic reduction in commercial swordfish landings during the last ten years,” I set out some facts which contradict his assertions. Shaun suggested that the reduction in landings w…
Letters to the editor

Editor Please Explain

Regarding the “Apology from Editor” I have just read in the 26 March 2024 edition of the Informer: I had to read the article twice because I was certain I must have misunderstood.