Police Report – Christmas Period 2023 / 2024
Christmas Day, 25 December – two burglaries were reported in the Wharekaho area. Both properties had items taken from within the buildings. If anyone has any information, please contact 105 or Crimestoppers.
Tuesday, 26 December – a shoplifter was apprehended after stealing a number of valuable items from one of our commercial properties. Most of the items were recovered and the person will be appearing in court.
Thursday, 28 December
- A report was made of a Theft ex Car on Cook Drive. Several items were removed from the vehicle. Enquiries are continuing to identify the offender.
- Two scuffles involving the same teenagers occurred in the CBD area. On both occasions several items were stolen from the victims. Enquiries are continuing to identify the offenders.
- A pair of small scooters were stolen from outside the marina on Dundas St.
Friday, 29 December – an horrific assault occurred at an Albert St address involving several offenders. Many victims were assaulted by a group of people who have subsequently been arrested and charged.
Overnight on Saturday, 30 December – a white Ford Ranger utility was stolen from a Whitby Ave address. It is believed the vehicle is still in the wider Coromandel area. Any sightings please report to police immediately.
Saturday, 30 December – several underage teenagers were located consuming alcohol in Cooks Beach. Warnings were issued for drinking underage in public.
Sunday, 31 December, New Years Eve – a shoplifter was arrested after stealing a cap from a commercial store. They were also charged with breaching bail and will be appearing in court shortly.
Also, on New Years Eve a male was spoken to in Matarangi breaching the Liquor Ban. He was subsequently issued with a notice for the offence.
6 x persons for assault, assault with instrument, and injures with intent.
1 x male for shoplifting and breach of bail.
1 x male for breach of bail.
Tuesday, 26 December – a Family Harm matter occurred at a Seascape Ave address. An angry male took his frustrations out verbally against his elderly mother. She was given information for outside agencies to assist her.
Thursday, 28 December –
A Family Harm occurred at a Captain Wood Ave address between two males. Both were observed wrestling aggressively prior to separating before police arrival.
Friday, 29 December
- Family Harm matters were reported occurring at Cholmondeley Cres, Tairua-Whitianga Rd, and Debenham Drive. All matters were attended to by police with sound advice given.
- Later, police returned to Cholmondeley Cres after a physical altercation between the two intoxicated parties. Both were separated to ensure safety of all parties.
Saturday, 30 December – a Family Harm matter occurred at a Cook Drive address. All parties were spoken to by police and advice given.
Thursday, 28 December – a male was stopped for Driving Whilst Forbidden. The vehicle was impounded as a result.
Saturday, 30 December
- A vehicle collision occurred on The 309 Road involving an ATV Quadbike colliding with a utility. The bike taking a corner too quick and crossing the centre of the road. Thankfully serious injuries were avoided.
- A driver was stopped in Cooks Beach for having passengers standing in the rear tray of a utility and holding down the load. Advice and a ticket were issued for their actions.
- A driver was stopped on Joan Gaskell Dve where they failed the drink driving procedures. A ticket was issued for being over the legal limit.
Sunday, 31 December a vehicle was stopped in Cooks Beach and the driver processed for drink driving. They were subsequently charged for Failing to give a blood sample and suspended from driving.
Police are focusing on Restraints, Impairment, Distractions (Phones etc) and Speed over the next few months.