Skip to main content

Community Notices

John’s wishes honoured as Bayleys incorporates North

John Hunt died peacefully after a very brief battle with cancer in March this year. It was only a few short months after his diagnosis of a brain tumour. He was surrounded by his family. The community and especially his colleagues at North Real Estate were devastated. Helen Hunt’s letter set out adjacent to this news, gives peace of mind to John’s staff and family.
 |  HelenHunt  |  ,

About John: John moved to Whitianga with his wife Helen and family in 1997.

Building North Real Estate meant some very hard work; getting it off the ground and finding the right commercial property were significant hurdles.  Funding the business in the early stages was another challenge. John always said his team made things easier. He worked on these principles – share all commissions, share all clients, and share all information. He was always very mindful of that trust even when there was not much business.  John was convinced that people needed trust and that can be a tough commodity in a time of meagre supply. He was very committed to his colleagues and their future.   He was ten years a policeman and ten years a pastor prior to establishing North.  These vocations gave John great experience of people and a high degree of empathy.

John never lost sight of his love for people. He loved Whitianga and the Coromandel as a wonderful place to live. He was so proud of his family and together they made a vital life together here in Mercury Bay. He would say to people wherever he was, ‘come North’.

He is missed greatly by Helen and family and this community, but that invitation of John’s – ‘come North’ will be carried on very well by the Bayleys team.

Announcement by Helen Hunt

It is with a sad but grateful heart that I write to you, our wonderful community, to announce that North Real Estate will soon be closing its doors.

It was in John’s final week that he asked our family friend, Simone Jonelle Cronin, to take on the business.  Simone has worked tirelessly for us over the past five weeks to determine how to best honour John’s wishes, which meant keeping our clients and their properties as the priority consideration, every step of the way.

As Simone worked with us exploring options, we landed on what we agreed ticked all the boxes John had requested, and that was to approach Bayleys. We were very lucky that Simone, having previously been a Branch Manager with Bayleys in Auckland, was well positioned to assist us with this.

I am forever grateful to the Bayleys Coromandel leadership team for their response to our reaching out and for their compassion and professionalism.

Both Joanna Hunt and Peter Neumark-Payne will join Bayleys Tairua this week. We hope our clients choose to move with us to Bayleys as we truly believe our people backed by the Bayleys brand provides the very best real estate can offer.  Elaine Smith will be operating independently in real estate sales and in property management.

I want to take the opportunity to thank these three wonderful real estate salespeople for their loyalty to our family, their commitment to our clients and for their resilience. I wish them all the very best in their careers, now and in the future.

Also, to Jeff Carr our Licensed AREINZ locum and Charma Wilson, thank you so much for all your hard work during this time.

I know that John wanted only the best for all of his clients, people and property and am proud that we have been able to navigate this tough time with compelling solutions for all in such a short time.

Again, thank you Bayleys for your responsiveness and your ability to accommodate us. Shaun Paterson, Karl Davis and Chris Bayley – thank you.  You have all demonstrated the same commitment to clients, people, and property that John was so passionate about. I am confident that our clients and people can rest assured they are in very good hands.

I want to wish everyone, especially our clients, every success and thank you all for your understanding and support.

Helen Hunt

Director, North Real Estate