Skip to main content

Matters to be resolved

Cathedral Cove walking access, where to have the Boating Club, dust on and in the houses opposite Allied Concrete on South Highway, Operational Refuse Transfer Station for Mercury Bay; Wahi Tukurua (recycling centre) being more than a name; clearing the ponds at Cooks Beach, Buffalo Beach and Taputapuatea Stream; Water storage plan and a timeline for it, Coastal Protection Project turned into specific plans for specific areas; rubbish bin collection methods that work for the residents. All require work and a change of culture regarding relationships and possibilities between local Government...

Continue reading

Darts is the winner at Coroglen Tavern

If walls could talk, The Coroglen Tavern would have a number of interesting stories to tell. More than a few of those tales would centre on the traditional pub game of darts. The well-known landmark tavern, situated on the corner of State Highway 25 and the Tapu-Coroglen Road, is the home of the Coroglen Darts Club, officially formed on 9 May 1968, almost fifty-five years ago. If enthusiasm could grow a club by 200% then Rose is the winner. “You can’t go wrong with darts,” says Rose. “You don’t need to be very sporty. You can still achieve at darts. However, once you start getting to the...

Continue reading

Living in paradise, why think about a concentration camp?

I have been thinking about an Auschwitz Concentration camp story. It is a true story written by Viktor Frankl, one of the most influential psychotheraptists of the 20th century. I think about it when I sit on the Whitianga wharf, when I stroll the beaches at sunset, when I lay awake in my comfortable bed. Why? In this wonderful environment with so many friendly people there is so much to enjoy. Why spend any time or energy thinking about one of the most horrible episodes of human history. It’s because of my need to find meaning in my life ‘now’. Frankl titled his book “Man’s Search for Meaning’. The...

Continue reading

Where Mercury Bay is heading

Without question, we live in the best seaside settlements in New Zealand and Mercury Bay residents need to work hard to keep that distinction going. As an isolated region, I believe we must clearly establish Whitianga as the heart of Mercury Bay and move forward with a collective voice. I might add that after living and working in Mercury Bay for over 40 years I feel equipped to contribute in a meaningful way but wish to reiterate that the articles written are of personal options only. To look forward I feel we also need to look back and analyse some major achievements: • Roading network...

Continue reading

From moo to microbes: Is this the end of NZ Dairy?

By 2030, identical dairy proteins made in a vat could be 5 times cheaper than those from a cow, and 10 times cheaper by 2035. Demand for traditional dairy products could drop by 70%. Will New Zealand’s dairy industry adapt or join the ranks of bankrupt giants like Kodak who thought they were immune to innovation? This isn’t about demonising dairy farmers or scaremongering, it’s a call to action. It’s about recognising a massively disruptive global force unfolding beyond our control overseas, and its grave consequences for dairying and our economy. Imagine fermentation vats located in China...

Continue reading

Tairua – removing seedling mangroves from Pepe Stream

But I would appreciate the opportunity to clarify some points in an independent forum. To those of you who made these comments I would like to reply. 1) We are neither sad nor ignorant. I am a trained horticulturist with over 50 years’ experience in the propagation and growing native plants, and, the implementation of hundreds of plantings including wetland revegetation 2) I believe people have missed the point of our letter. Firstly, we have never seen mangroves as an impediment to our view. Pohutukawa do that just fine. We are suggesting the removal of the seedlings within the sandy areas...

Continue reading

Fear need not rule

Her department’s staff had caused offence not only by uncontrolled poisoning but by its failure to seek landowner consent before trespassing on their private properties. This trespassing was legal they said. Its legitimacy did not reduce the level of offence taken. DOC staff knew they faced a growing wave of opposition every time they left the office. Brigitte felt it strongly. The Thames office became fortified against intrusion. Visitors were treated as potential attackers. For her public appearances Brigitte was accompanied by two strapping body-guards. Large teams of security guards were...

Continue reading

Let’s hope we can be great again

We, like many, entertained waves of family visitors over the Christmas and New Year period. We were pleased to see them enjoy the beach and the various attractions Whitianga has to offer. In January we were pleased to see them go but look forward to them returning. This is one of life’s paradoxes. We hired one of the tour operators to take us and various Kids and Grandies out on the bay for a look at the coast and of course Cathedral Cove. An extremely enjoyable tour that was enjoyed by all. What amazed me though was the amount of people that were visiting Cathedral Cove, there were hundreds,...

Continue reading