Skip to main content

Disappointing response on transparency

Highly disappointing, the article ‘TCDC slams door on Open Government Reform’ (The Coromandel Informer 9 July, p.2) has not triggered any meaningful reaction from readers other than Mr Minogue’s ludicrous comments (Letter to the Editor, 17 July). Unfortunately, pushing for more transparency and accountability of Council’s deliberative processes does not seem to be an issue of general concern. Thumbs up for TCDC’s Governance Manager who recommended to adopt in principle, openness by default for all ‘workshops’, ‘huis’, ‘forums’ etc. and clear definitions of why case by case closure may be justified. The...

Continue reading

My stand on voting for Status Quo on Workshops

It’s essential to understand that I will vote as a Councillor in a way that I believe represents the interest of ratepayers for the District. This may not be my personal view but the view that I believe would be how the majority of ratepayers would want me to vote on an issue. So why did I in this case believe it was the right decision not to support officially recording workshops as recommended by the Chief Ombudsman. After hearing the discussion in the Council meeting of 27 June, I believed that the recording of Workshops would add further cost and bureaucracy that would be unfair to burden...

Continue reading

Some cheer for this day

I read the “I am Meth” poem in The Informer of 9 July, first published 14 years ago, but still very timely. The poem is so well written even though it has been abbreviated a little. In my view, the suppliers of meth don’t receive nearly enough punishment for the harm it inflicts when consumed. However, putting that all aside, I just thought a couple of light-hearted poems may put a smile on a few folks dials. In this day and age – a laugh or just a wee giggle could help us through all the ‘Doom and Glum’. What say you?

Continue reading

Concern about race based seats

The drive to have seats on councils and in parliament for only Māori raises questions about our democracy and the thinking behind apartheid. Firstly, the problem that having race define the source of the MPs and the councillors means  should we not have seats for Chinese, Filipinos, Europeans and Indians also? Secondly, does this mean that MPs who have Māori ancestry should either stand down or only stand for Māori seats? Thirdly, the Treaty of Waitangi guaranteed that citizens of New Zealand were one people, i.e: equal. Why is a group of citizens attempting to give special treatment to...

Continue reading

Social Responsibility – Social Licence

Both the Department of Conservation and their Contractors should be working with both. Both DoC and their contractors have a social responsibility not only to the Environment and the Community that they pick and choose, but to the wider community as a whole. Under consultation and permissions, DoC has consulted with Hapu, Iwi and key stakeholders including land owners adjacent to the treatment areas. All of us are stakeholders, not just a few. DoC do not consult with the community they notify. DoC said a number of years ago that the use of 1080 (sodium fluoroacetate) is non negotiable. Now...

Continue reading

Policy plan needs change now – not later!

The NZ Coastal Protection Plan is ‘out of sync’ with countries in the western world in their policy that does not favour the use of rock walls, groins, or flood gates. The regional authorities come up with the strategy of ‘managed retreat’ to mitigate against coastal erosion – this strategy is unsustainable. An example of coastal mapping was well illustrated in the NZ herald on Tuesday, 9 July, 2024. It stated in this article that if cuts were imminent on coastal mapping, it will expose communities. Action is needed now – not later! In this Herald article, it showed Brophy’s beach in Whitianga...

Continue reading

Twenty-year celebration for Community Choir

Mercury Bay Community Choir at a recent concert. This friendly, inclusive, community choir is always on the lookout for new members. Please be assured by their Conductor, Kate Nielsen, that no previous singing experience or auditions are required and a good dose of singing can help beat winter blues. Rehearsals start on the Monday, 5 August, Mercury Bay Area School Music Room 6.15pm to 8.15 pm. Our 20th year celebration concert is Sunday, November 10 in Whitianga. Phone Kate 0272709058 or email suegreig8@hotmail.com for details.

Continue reading

COROMANDEL – What’s in the name?

The three -masted ship, Coromandel. The Māori name for the Coromandel Peninsula is Te Tara-o-te-Ika-a-Māui, meaning “the barb of Māui’s fish”. That’s easy to understand with the shape of the Peninsula coastline. What is a little more complicated is the story behind the name generally used for this peninsula – Coromandel. The name goes back to the 16th century along the coast of Tamil Nadu state in India. Coromandel, as we now have it, was probably a mis pronouncement by Portuguese sailors of the Tamil word, Cholamandalam. This name is given to a broad costal plain in eastern Tamil Nadu state...

Continue reading